Wiley Education Services
Quality Coach | December 2020–Present
- Cultivate customer-facing representative growth and development through one on one coaching and written feedback. Develop and implement coaching strategies for effectively meeting objectives, including peer to peer development, group sessions and presentations, monitoring and auditing data, mentoring, and training.
- Assist in developing, creating and implementing quality processes and procedures, as well as making recommendations for enhancements to training materials as needed to enhance the overall customer experience.
Enrollment Counselor | April 2019–December 2020
- Engage prospective students considering enrolling at one of the Wiley Partners Schools. Facilitate student enrollment into Partner School, mentoring students through the application process and into registration/enrollment.
- Responsible for maintaining student contact levels, demonstrating high level of product/program knowledge, and providing educational opportunities to qualified students.
Orange County Library System
Youth Outreach Coordinator | 2017–2019
- Engaged community—including families, schools, and businesses—to become ambassadors for and patrons of the Orange County Library System.
- Built partnerships with local, state, and national businesses, organizations and groups to ensure growth and success of Youth Services programs, contests, events, and campaigns.
- Managed solicitations and year-round engagement strategies and campaigns to retain current and attract new partners in order to support Youth Services programs and campaigns.
- Worked collaboratively with staff to meet annual donation and engagement goals.
George Mason University
Graduate Assistant | 2014–2017
- Developed and instructed four sections of English 101/Composition.
- As a tutor, led face-to-face and digital tutoring sessions with undergraduate and graduate students, as well as recurring appointments with students from the ESL Opt-In tutoring program. Managed rotating projects, including Writing Center advertising guidelines and workshop redesign.
Director of Program (2014) | Programs Manager (2011-2013) | Volunteer Coordinator (2009-2011)
- Responsible for success of the Young Author Project, Writing Fellows program, and the Education Fellows program. The Young Author Project was a free, afterschool, creative writing workshop for middle grades students. It was named a finalist for the National Arts & Humanities Youth Program Award in 2013 & 2014, and our 2014 programs went on to win the award in 2015.
- Developed and oversaw the Deep writing mentorship program, the Writing Fellows, resulting in higher quality of service & volunteer retention.
- Created and implemented new systems for program development and sustainability, including recruitment strategies and professional development opportunities which led to a higher rate of volunteer retention.
- Directed publication of Deep’s writing curriculum, The Cure for IDK, and managed designers/illustrators for bi-annual publications and all in-house projects. Oversaw the publication of nearly fifty anthologies of student writing.
Social Media/Content Manager | 2009–2010
Tidbits Media, Inc.
Design Manager/Lead Writer & Editor | 2008–2009
George Mason University | M.F.A. Creative Writing, Fiction | 2017 | 4.0 GPA | Thesis Fellow (Fiction) 2016-2017 | Shelley A. Marshall Award, 2016 | Phoebe Literary Journal: Assistant Fiction Editor, 2015-16; Fiction Editor, 2016-17
Savannah College of Art & Design | B.F.A. Motion Graphics | 2007 | 3.4 GPA | Minors: Creative Writing; Graphic Design | Broadcast Design & Motion Graphics Club Vice President & Print Coordinator | Short-story “Everyone Follows Slowly” published in SCAD literary journal, Artemis.
Additional work history available at linkedin.com/in/heybates